Under minimal supervision demonstrate financial and accounting expertise in the achievement of work duties. Maintain knowledge of accounting principles, and demonstrate ability to interpret business transactions and leverage process controls.
• Prepare and analyze financial statements, utilizing knowledge of technical accounting issues and disclosure requirements; liaise with external auditors.
• Review and explain variances to budget/forecast and to previous reporting periods on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
• Reconcile general ledger and various bank accounts as assigned in a timely manner.
• Prepare journal entries as required, and ensure documentation of accounting records.
• Update the Credit Union’s Accounting Procedures Manual as needed.
• Communicate effectively with NCUA examiners, CPA Auditors and Internal Auditors during periodic examinations and audits.
• Serve as an integral part of the internal controls of the organization through identification and evaluation of transactions.
• Identify and improve workflows, processes, and data validation tools.
• Demonstrate capacity to assist in other areas of Accounting/Finance.
• Conduct non-routine financial analysis/reporting projects and create recommendations for senior management.
• Train and mentor other Accounting team members.
• Collaborate well with others within and across teams, and encourage team members to participate and acknowledge their contributions, promoting a culture of meaningful work and relationships.
TYPE & AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and 5-7 years of progressive accounting and financial reporting responsibility
• Experience in banking or financial services preferred
• Experience in preparing financial statements, call report, and assisting with budgeting, and performing consolidation entries between the subsidiary and parent organization
• Knowledgeable in common accounting concepts such as fixed assets, prepaid expenses, loan accounting, consolidations, amortization and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Proficient in Microsoft Office including exceptional Excel skills (pivot tables, charts and graphs, v-look-ups, etc.)
• Proficiency in working with and analyzing larger data files.
• Familiarity with accounting systems/software including Great Plains, Management reporter, and Axiom is preferred but not required
• Knowledge of internal control best practices and reconciliation
• Versatility, resourcefulness, and a willingness to accept prominent work assignments
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills and detail orientation
• Professional communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to manage relationships at all levels throughout the organization
• Ability to consistently meet deadlines and work under pressure
• Able to multi-task in a fast paced environment
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Willingness to work flexible hours
• Standard office conditions
In addition to any specific job requirements in connection with Bank Secrecy Act and/or OFAC (BSA), employee must (i) be aware of BSA matters commensurate with the position; (ii) report any suspicious activity to the manager or compliance department; and (iii) satisfactorily complete any required BSA training.