Assists the Office of General Counsel with providing legal advice and counsel to all levels of staff, with a focus on credit union compliance and regulatory affairs. Will work to further develop, enhance, monitor, and maintain the credit union’s compliance program. The various functions of the Staff Attorney position ensure that credit union operations are in accordance with the standards established by law and regulation, while also protecting the organization’s legal interests.
• Support the Office of General Counsel by monitoring the regulations governing financial institutions, including those issued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, National Credit Union Administration, and Federal Trade Commission, as well as international data privacy laws and directives, insurance regulations, etc.; maintain a regulatory affairs log.
• Lead and coordinate effort to submit comment letters and other types of legislative action, where appropriate, and attend lobbying events in Washington, D.C. and Albany, NY from time to time.
• Formulate and distribute compliance self-assessments to credit union stakeholders, collect and evaluate responses, analyze results, and prepare reports summarizing various departments’ responses, variances, compliance and any other findings.
• Form and/or participate in cross-departmental project teams to advise on and address compliance issues.
• Work with business lines on developing and revising disclosures as required by law; assist in the formation and running of a Compliance Committee.
• Advise business lines on regulatory aspects of new product development, such as the drafting of disclosures and agreements, revising policies and procedures, and drafting and issuing regulatory advisories for internal distribution.
• Review marketing collateral and notifications to the public for regulatory compliance and compliance with social media platform terms and conditions.
• Support the Office of General Counsel in other general legal work such as reviewing and negotiating contracts and non-disclosure agreements, as well as conducting investigations, reviewing employment matters, and conducting legal research.
• Participate in credit union training programs and improve professional development by participating in continuing education legal education courses, certificate programs and seminars.
TYPE & AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor (required)
• Admission to the NY State Bar
• Experience or knowledge of laws and regulations affecting credit unions, banks and consumer compliance preferred
• Work assignments require the use of independent judgment on legal issues that relate to compliance laws, vendor contracts, Federal and State laws, NCUA rules and regulations, etc.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong project management skills
• Well organized and detail oriented
• Must work well with colleagues at all levels of the organization
• Ability to work effectively independently
• Standard office conditions
In addition to any specific job requirements in connection with Bank Secrecy Act and/or OFAC (BSA), employee must (i) be aware of BSA matters commensurate with the position; (ii) report any suspicious activity to the manager or compliance department; and (iii) satisfactorily complete any required BSA training.