Responsible for underwriting consumer loan applications, ensuring compliance with applicable Federal, State and NCUA rules, regulations and laws. This includes communication with the Consumer Lending staff and Member Service Representatives. This is the first level consumer loan underwriting position with lending authority for loan amounts up to $60,000 unsecured.
• Manage and maintain loan application workflow, including verification of information and timely review and underwriting of applications.
• Underwrite consumer loans based on established guidelines. Approve loans that meet UNFCU guidelines, within authorized limits and established timeframes.
• Make alternative recommendations for non-conforming loans. Prepare and present recommendations to Loan Panel for those loans that are exceptions to the guidelines.
• Participate in consumer loan panel to review loan guideline exceptions and denials.
• Ensure all declined loan requests are properly documented for review by a senior loan officer and Loan Review Committee.
• Coordinate the preparation and issuance of adverse action letters to members.
• Comply with updates and changes to loan programs, processes, guidelines and updates to consumer lending software.
• Maintain all correspondence and documentation through the consumer loan underwriting and decision process and ensure documentation is archived in document retention system.
• Address questions and resolve disputes between UNFCU and members using knowledge of consumer loan underwriting process and legal requirements.
• Act as a resource for the Consumer Lending Department.
• Participate in credit union training programs and any other function as requested.
TYPE & AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree and 2 to 3 years of experience in a consumer lending/underwriting environment
• Knowledge of consumer loan products
• Ability to read and interpret supporting documentation, loan guidelines, financial statements and credit reports
• Computer proficiency including use of Microsoft Office suite and loan underwriting software
• Ability to understand lending regulations (i.e. Regulations Z, B, RESPA)
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Strong attention to detail
• Standard office conditions
• Willingness to work flexible work hours
In addition to any specific job requirements in connection with Bank Secrecy Act and/or OFAC (BSA), employee must (i) be aware of BSA matters commensurate with the position; (ii) report any suspicious activity to the manager or compliance department; and (iii) satisfactorily complete any required BSA training.