Oversee the Risk Management function at UNFCU across all business lines to collaboratively identify, measure, control, monitor, and manage both known and potential risks and exposures to avoid losses to the organization. Report on a consolidated, enterprise-wide level to both Senior Management and the Board of Directors on these risks. Make recommendations to improve existing processes and controls.
• Coordinates and implements risk management methodologies for administrative, lending, operational and financial functions of UNFCU.
• Provides support and guidance to the credit union’s risk management compliance efforts; serves as an advisor to Senior Management; assists regulatory agencies’ and/or auditors’ inquiries; reviews and writes related policies and procedures; makes recommendations to Senior Management when and where appropriate; submits required reports to the Board of Directors detailing the credit union’s risk related compliance issues.
• Prepares detailed local and national economic reports for presentation to Senior Management advising of pertinent issues relative to financial and credit union risk issues
• Coordinates the activities of the Risk Management Committee (RMC) and participates in quarterly RMC meetings.
• Reinforces the application of superior risk management practices through their example along with appropriate follow through with involved employees; conducts specific periodic meetings and presentations on this topic with all staff members.
• Responsible for post-closing Loan Quality Control. Ensures that mortgage and consumer loans have been originated in conformance with the credit union’s underwriting and risk policies.
• Coordinates the credit union’s annual insurance review.
• Develops and maintains a working knowledge of applicable banking laws and regulations by reading various publications and circulars; attends seminars and meetings with peers.
• Ensures credit union policies are updated to reflect changes in law or regulations; recommends changes to policies and procedures to minimize risk.
• Updates and corresponds with the credit union’s Senior Management team to ensure all possible precautionary actions or measures are taken with respect to managing known risks and modeling potential risks and exposures.
• Assists all areas of the credit union to coordinate inter and intra-departmental activities; resolves inquiries or issues relating to administrative functions; participates in various internal committees assigned by Senior Management.
• Reviews internal and/or external audits and certifications of credit union operations, documenting compliance with state and federal regulations and policies and procedures.
• Conducts various risk related staff training exercises and classes.
• Assists credit union staff in resolving inquiries or issues relating to risk compliance matters; participates in various internal committees assigned by Senior Management.
• Manages the daily activities of the Risk Management staff. Monitors, coaches, evaluates, motivates, and develops direct reports and creates a climate where teamwork can flourish. Prepares performance snapshots on time. Identifies training needs of the department and plans, coordinates, and schedules staff training opportunities and individual development plans.
TYPE & AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE:
• Master’s degree in Accounting or related major and 10 years of experience in a credit policy or lending environment with a major financial institution; at least 5 years in a leadership capacity
• CFA, CUERME, or any Risk related certifications preferred
• Strong MS Office skills, with an emphasis on MS Excel
• Experience with, and an ability to understand, risk inherent in various business processes
• Ability to review and understand new products and related risks & rewards
• Proficiency in the understanding and use of insurance products as a risk mitigation and transfer tool
Leading the organization:
• managing change
• solving problems and making decisions
• managing politics and influencing others
• taking risks and innovating
• setting vision and strategy
• managing the work
• enhancing business skills and knowledge
• understanding and navigating the organization
Leading the self:
• demonstrating ethics and integrity
• displaying drive and purpose
• exhibiting leadership stature
• increasing your capacity to learn
• managing yourself
• increasing self-awareness
• developing adaptability
• communicating effectively
• developing others
• valuing diversity and inclusion
• building and maintaining relationships
• managing effective teams and work groups
• Standard office conditions
In addition to any specific job requirements in connection with Bank Secrecy Act and/or OFAC (BSA), employee must (i) be aware of BSA matters commensurate with the position; (ii) report any suspicious activity to the manager or compliance department; and (iii) satisfactorily complete any required BSA training.